Monday, March 23, 2009

Oswald

I have been researching this line in Scotland for many years. The trails goes cold in Kirkcaldy, Fifeshire when the parish registers fail to have Robert Oswald recorded in about 1800. Robert married, Isabella Auchterlonie. I have quite a bite on the Auchterlonie line. Robert died in 1838 and Isabella died in 1842 leaving a small family to be raised by others. All of the children ended up in the Liverpool area. My great grandfather, James Oswald had connections to his uncle, John Auchterlonie. I would assume that he may have apprenticed with him as a stone mason. A number of this Auchterlonie family took wifes from Cumberland County as did James Oswald. He married, Ann Ridley, in 1846 at St Peters Church in Liverpool. They had eleven children born between 1847 and 1868. Every so many years they were living in a different place. The first four children were born in the Liverpool area, then two more in Yorkshire, three more in Oxfordshre, and then by 1865 they settled in Dalbeattie, Scotland. By then James was a manager at a granite works. Ann Ridley died in 1879. Soon after James Oswald moved to Cornwall and lived out his life there dieing in 1889. Out of the eleven children only one remained in Dalbeattie. Details of the family can be found on my website. My grandmother, Jane Oswald married, John Mckenzie in Barre, Vermont. They grew up together in Dalbeattie. I have yet to make contact with any descendants of the Oswald family. My grandmother did not talk of her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment